DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE
Clothing and personal appearance should be neat, becoming and appropriate. The following is required of all students at Stillman:
- Men and women are meant to have different behaviors. Clothing is an indicator and expression of that important difference. Therefore, females should behave, dress and groom themselves in a manner consistent with the Stillman Woman persona. Likewise, men should dress, groom and behave themselves in a manner consistent with the Stillman Man persona.
- That appropriate distinctions be made between the proper attire for class, work, church, business and formal affairs, relaxation, and play.
- No clothing, hygiene or grooming practices that draw too much attention to a student.
- That the following be considered inappropriate attire: sheer garments without proper undergarments to obscure their transparency; micro-mini dresses/skirts/shorts that do not cover enough of the thighs while standing/sitting; halter tops; midriff blouses; tops cut low or sliced in the front, back or side, t-shirts or other clothing bearing reference to alcoholic drinks, tobacco products, drugs, drug slogans, profane language and pictures that can be interpreted as suggested, obscene, offensive or violent, cutout or torn jeans, hair rollers, baseball caps pajamas, sleepwear or bedroom slippers; “wife-beaters’, and t-shirts without sleeves.
- That neither males nor females expose undergarments. Pants must be worn around the waist without sagging. Persons in violation can be fined $10 that must be paid within 24 hours of the citation. Failure to pay the fine will result in further disciplinary action.
- Males should not wear form-fitting shorts or boxing shorts without proper support undergarments.
- That neither males nor females wear baseball caps, stocking caps, skullcaps, sun-visors, do-rags, hoods, knit beanies, bandanas or any other head coverings in public buildings. *Stocking caps, skullcaps and do-rags are banned from campus and College-sponsored events on and off the campus. Refusal to remove head coverings may result in confiscation and further disciplinary action.
- Leggings/jeggings should have a covering or top at no more than three inches above the knee. Dresses, skirts, or pants that are slit more than five inches above the knee are not permitted.
- That appropriate attention be given to personal cleanliness and good grooming including hair; to present a clean, neat and orderly appearance representative of the Stillman Man and the Stillman Woman and the College values and mission.
- Additional dress regulations may be imposed upon students participating in certain extra-curricular activities.
- No sunglasses are to be worn in class or at formal programs.
- Thursday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. shall be Professional/Business Dress Day. Professional/business dress is defined as men in dress slacks, shirt and tie and women in dresses, skirts and or pantsuits; no denim, sneakers or flip-flops. Business attire will also be expected at events such as chapel convocations, Religious Emphasis Week, Founders Day, Honors and Awards Programs, Career Fairs, Graduate and Professional School Day, President’s Colloquium, Miss Stillman Pageant and Coronation, etc.
*Public buildings at the College include residence hall lobbies, buildings used for instruction and convocation, the Library, Birthright Auditorium (during classes and convocations), the Wynn Center, and the Student Center including the Cafeteria, the Bookstore, and the Food Court.
A second warning regarding any of these guidelines could result in suspension.