William H. Sheppard Library was completed in 1956 and houses approximately 117,550 books, journals and media materials. The library also provides access to a variety of electronic databases. The media area contains curriculum materials , a listening room for classical music, and a preview/viewing classroom. These facilities provide learning resources such as CDs, DVDs, video tapes, films, slides, computer software, laminating equipment, LCD, Opaque and overhead projectors, televisions, VCRs, electronic boards, scanners and vinyl recordings. Special collections include the Martha L. O’Rourke African-American Collection and a microfilm collection of materials from the Schomberg Collection of Negro Life and History. The library subscribes to newspapers and American and foreign periodicals subscriptions from various sections of the nation. The College Archives is also located in the library. Dr. William H. Sheppard for whom the building was named, completed his training for the ministry at Stillman in 1887, and with Samuel B. Lapsley founded the missionary work of the Presbyterian Church in the Congo (now Zaire). In 1989 the Ashel and Merle Jackson Communications Complex was annexed to the facility. The library is a member of cooperative programs with the University of Alabama Libraries.