Duties: The Director, Military Affairs and Services, is a strategic and achievement oriented planner and implementer that creates, initiates, efficiently produces and assesses best practice programs and services that assist currently serving military and those who have served with the ultimate goal of student success. The Director is responsible for the coordination and daily operation of the Veterans Resource Center, which is committed to supporting military students, Veterans, and dependents with academic and overall student success. The Director works collaboratively with others within and outside the university to support veteran students through their transitions, as it relates to enrollment, financial aid, student success and career. Additionally, Stillman College manages the “Troops to Teachers” grant program for the State of Alabama Department of Education. The goal of the Troops to Teachers program is to facilitate Veterans’ ability to teach in the K-12 schools systems in Alabama’s public schools, especially in the Alabama Black Belt region. The Director is also a member of the leadership team of the Division of Academic Affairs and as such has responsibilities related to division and university goals. This position reports to the Provost & Vice President, Academic Affairs.
The Director will:
- Provides strategic and day to day program planning through initiation, execution, and assessment of programs and services that support the enrollment, engagement, success and satisfaction of student veterans and currently serving military students
- Serves as point of contact for military and veteran students in creatively problem solving barriers through excellent customer service and student-oriented approach using College and external resources
- Provides recruitment, transition and retention services to students including creating and supervising a student mentor/ambassador program for veterans and creating and executing other programs that provide effective assistance
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates the VRC staff and student staff to meet the goals and objectives of the program
- Staffs advisory committee to provide services to veterans, including but not limited to, the Veteran Military Education Excellence Funds program
- Establishes liaison relationships between local, civic, and veterans’ groups
- Stays aware of legislative and other issues that may impact military or veteran populations and advises Vice President of potential impact and possible university resolutions for the betterment of all veteran and military students
- Is responsible for the functioning and supplying of the Veterans Resource Center. Establish additional veteran/military space/resources/supplies as space and needs allow
- Works closely with veterans and military students and available on and off campus resources regarding funding, medical/disability funding and additional support; thorough knowledge of various resources is essential
- Manages the budget
- Establishes strong relationships with veterans and military students serving as an advisor, mentor and role model as they enroll, progress, succeed and graduate
- Works with Career Services and potential employers to enhance opportunities for veteran employment
- Works with the Student Veteran Association student organization and other student organizations that support veteran/military needs
- Plans events such as Veterans Day commemorations. Serves as veterans’ liaison for university and community events, such as the annual Women Veterans Prayer Breakfast.
- Provide presentations/workshops/training for veterans/military students on topics of interest; present/train faculty/staff and others on successfully working with veteran students and meeting their needs
- Provides data and information to the Vice President regarding military and veteran students, their status, barriers, programming, etc.
- Serve as an enthusiastic, engaged, effective Student Affairs professional with an excellent work ethic who serves as the College expert on veteran/military student success and who represents the College in an exceptional manner
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required; Masters preferred.
- 10 or more years of military and/or knowledge of and familiarity of sociological, cultural, and transitional issues of military and veteran students required. Former military experience strongly preferred
- Higher education experience with veterans services office and related issues preferred
- Knowledge of career advising, training, event management, program planning and retention programs is preferred
- Knowledge of federal rules and regulations by the Veterans Administration
- Knowledge of special needs of veterans and available financial aid benefits
- Strong initiative and solid judgment abilities/skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Skilled in establishing cooperative working relationships in the course of performing assigned duties
- Skilled in working with students in distress and compassionately problem solving while making use of multiple resources
- Ability to interpret Veterans Administration regulations and act as a liaison between the college veteran and the Veterans Administration
- Ability to supervise and train professional and student staff
- Ability to develop and maintain program records
- Ability to conceive of, plan, and effectively execute programs and services
To Apply: Please send an email to email@example.com PDF files of: 1) cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest in and qualifications for the position; 2) resume; and 3) completed Stillman Employment Application: http://www.stillman.edu/images/documents/application.pdf
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Stillman College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.